Monday, January 31, 2022

Every Journey Has a Story - An Introduction (Part 3 of 5)

 

I hope you’re starting to see why I have been filled with trepidation concerning the writing of what was to be a book and is now a blog. The fear is not concerning retribution towards me. It's not because of approaching enemies of the country in which I live. It's not a simple fear, either, like having monsters under the bed. It’s about being a poor example of a slave for Almighty God. Yes, I use the word "slave" because that's the word the Bible uses in so many cases (although our English translations steer away from it for obvious reasons). Like the prodigal son, I don’t feel worthy of even being God’s hired servant or slave, let alone His child (cf. Luke 15:11-32).



However, in the last two to three years, there are two things I’ve learned in diving back into the Words of Jesus. First, God is not in the business of making us happy in the way many preachers explain it to us (more on this later), although happiness in God can be a great and uplifting reality in the life of a believer. Second, I feel like I am the last person on Earth who should be writing this, explaining to others how to live for God. I truly and fully understand now what Paul meant when he wrote to Timothy in 1 Timothy 1:12-17:

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now, to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen (emphasis added).

The worst of sinners.

If Paul thought that way about himself, because he was an accomplice to murder (cf. Acts 7:54-8:1a) and helped hunt down Christians as an overzealous Pharisee (cf. Philippians 3:6), what does that make me? For over twenty years, a lover of church ministry but not the God of the church? A lover of the promises of scripture, but not the God of the promises? A lover of the gifts from heaven, but not the Heavenly Gift-Giver?

A Pharisee in Christian clothing, to be sure.

Oh, the absurdity.

It is with tears of remorse that I struggle to jot down these words, for I feel I am the worst example of a mouthpiece for God ever created. I understand now how Moses felt. I always viewed that passage in Exodus, chapters 3 and 4, as a prime example of disobedience to be avoided. Now, I see it equally as an example of humility and shame. Afraid you’re not good enough to be used by God because of what a wretch you’ve been. Moses murdered an Egyptian with his bare hands. I had led people wrongly and helped row the church further away from mercy’s shore by not leading the church God’s way. And I did that when I was a “believer”! At least Moses and Paul committed their crimes before they were “saved.”

Conversely, it is also with tears of joy that I write these words as well. For if I’ve learned one other thing, it is that God never gives up on us, and He’ll help you get back on shore. Like Paul said, he gloried in being a “fool” so that “Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

My life may not be the same as it could have been —because of all the wasted years—had I chosen His path and stayed on it. Moses never got to step foot into the Promised Land because of choices he made (Deut. 34), and I realize I may never experience all that God had in store for me as well. However, for the years I do have left, they can be rewarding, even miraculous. If I abide in Jesus (cf. John 15:4-8).

The same can be true of you as well.

* * *

Thought for This Week:

Do you feel insufficient as a believer? Even unworthy? The Bible is filled with pitiful and inadequate servants, and that’s really how God likes it. He uses the foolish and the unwise, Paul says, to confuse the wise and prove them to be foolish (1 Cor. 1:18-2:16). Of course, we are “foolish” and “unwise” in the eyes of the world, not God. We are viewed that way because of what we believe, and in Whom we believe.

The sad part, in this day and age, is that this “foolishness” and “ignorance” the world sees in us is not solely because of God and His Word. It is largely because of “what else” we believe and espouse. What we have added to the gospel, to God’s Word, and the life of the church in general is foreign to the message of Christ. We’ll talk more about this as the blog posts progress, but please be certain what you preach is Biblical. Be certain that what you profess can be found in God’s Word.

Paul professed to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified (1 Cor. 2:2). You can’t go wrong when Jesus is the focal point, and we aren’t.

 

NEXT WEEK:

We’ll look at a couple of other reasons I write this blog with fear and trembling that help set the stage for the rest of the blog series.

Picture(s) courtesy of  Pexels and the following photographer(s)s:

"Man" by Daniel Reche



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment submission. It is being reviewed and will be posted, if it meets blog guidelines for decency and content.